…I believe it’s called ‘Intuition’. You know, that feeling you get in the back of your mind. You know something is going to happen, and you just can’t shake the feeling. Then it happens and the feeling is gone. The only feeling you have left is telling yourself: ‘Dammit! I KNEW this was going to happen. Why didn’t I do something about it?!’. It’s frustrating.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had an intuitive experience. Most are little ones, like when I tell my 3 year old: “Your chicken nuggets will be done in TWO SECONDS!”. And then the oven beeps at that moment. Never mess with a kids’ chicken nuggets… Seriously though. Or when I tell my boys that daddy will be home very soon, and suddenly we hear his keys in the door (I can’t see our door from the living room).

The most recent (big) experience happened about a month ago. We bought a new house and began packing up our current one. I was so excited to move into a brand new home.

But the moment we bought that house a feeling came over me. It was a thought in the back of my mind that told me: Something or someone will not be coming with you to the new home. Something is going to happen, and it’s going to be BIG. I kept racking my brain on what it could be… Was something going to happen with one of my kids? What about my husband… Him and I are great. Amazing. But is something going to happen with US?? I knew for a fact that it was family-related. I just couldn’t put my finger on it. The feeling was always there in the back of my mind.

So we finally sold our home. Yay! Let the serious packing begin! Suddenly I noticed something with my cat, Lily. She was looking much more frail than usual, and wasn’t eating her food. She was weak. Off to the vet we go, and it wasn’t good news: Chronic Kidney Disease. So for the next 3 days, Lily spent her time over night in pet emergency hooked up to IV’s getting some much needed fluids for dehydration. It was touch and go. After those 3 days, she came home. Things were looking up! The Vet was impressed at her progress. She was eating on her own, taking her meds, and seemed in good spirits. Almost back to her usual sweet self.

But after returning home from work one afternoon we found her having seizure after seizure. She was disoriented, and very wobbly. After a tear-filled, panicked phone call to the Vet, we took her in. The prognosis wasn’t good, and it was time. I was heart-broken. Lily passed peacefully in my arms. She was 11.5 years old.

I knew on the drive home that night, that THAT was the feeling. And just as quickly as it arrived, that ‘gut feeling’ was gone.

THAT was the ‘big change’ that was going to happen before we moved. Lily would not be coming with us to our new home and it breaks my heart. My only hope, is that her spirit finds her way and will join us.

The lesson here? TRUST YOUR GUT. Listen to it!!