A few weeks ago I attended the Gem & Mineral Show in Ancaster Ontario. It was a fabulous experience and I spent WAY too much money. That being said, it was money well spent. I purchased a lovely Amethyst geode, and several other quartz geodes, not to mention dozens of crystals and stones! But the best purchase I made that day was my Himalayan Salt Lamp, and let me tell you why.



First off, if you’ve never heard of a salt lamp before they are hand chiselled solid blocks of ancient crystal. They have a stunning pink colour and a soft glow when lit. Often times the color is a pinkish/orange color because of the high concentration of minerals. Inside the lamp is a small hollowed out space for a light bulb to generate light and heat.

So… How do they work? Well, water vapor is always circulating in the air of any room of your house. This water vapor carries with it allergens like dust, pollen, pet dander, smoke particles, and even bacteria and viruses. Salt attracts water molecules from the surrounding air. A large block of rock salt, like a Himalayan salt lamp, is especially attractive to water vapor and its pollutants. Once attracted to the salt lamp, these microscopic compounds remain on the salt and not floating in the air where you can breathe them in. As Himalayan salt lamps slowly become saturated with water vapor they attract from the air around them, the heat, from the lamp inside or beneath, dries them, thus continuing the hygroscopic effect for as long as the light is on. This heat also re-releases water vapour back into the air. Importantly, any airborne contaminants attracted to the salt lamp remain trapped there and will not become airborne again.


The health benefits of these pretty in pink lamps are amazing:

  • They improve breathing problems and reduce allergies
  • Less colds and flu
  • Increased calmness and less stress
  • Improved ability to concentrate
  • Fewer headaches and migraines
  • Easier to sleep at night

My experience with this lamp involves my kids, particularly my 15 month old. I love the kid to death but he is a terrible sleeper! My poor boy would wake up at least 2-3 times per night and it would take at least 30-40 minutes each time to calm him down and back to sleep again. I was at my wits end! The day I brought home my salt lamp was the day that changed everything. That night my boy slept ALL. NIGHT. LONG. Perhaps it was just a fluke, I thought. Night #2 arrived and again… Not a peep from him. Hmm… I may have something here. From then on he’s been great (well, not lately because we just moved into a new home and everyone is still adjusting. But it’s getting better!).

I can honestly say that this lamp has helped. Its soft glow is enough to lull anyone to sleep and I highly recommend purchasing one if you suffer from insomnia or restlessness (moms, I’m talking to you!). The salt rocks come in many different shapes and sizes to suit your needs. You can get them as a lamp, or candle holders as well. The lamp would be a great addition to your nursery as it’s not too bright or distracting.

Below are a couple of links to local shops that sell these marvelous lights:



Sweet Dreams!